Wednesday, January 18, 2012

A Healthy Alternative


Hello loves! Sorry it has been forever since I've last posted! School started back up yesterday and I'm already starting to feel a bit overwhelmed so I've had other priorities before writing up an interesting post... My Biology teacher has informed me that students from Yale, Stanford, etc. have taken his class and said it was the hardest class they have ever taken. These are the best of the best we are talking about!! That got me a little flustered but I believe I can do it if I put my best foot forward (prayers please)! Anyways, since that blurt had nothing to do with the title of this post I'll get to the juicy bit I'm going to share with you. 

Last night my boyfriend and I made a trip to the grocery store and then returned to my house to make a very tasty and healthy dinner. Lately I have been motivated to eat healthier and exercise on a regular basis... my routine is far from perfect but I'm starting to get somewhere! Burgers and Mashed Potatoes were on our menu for the night. Now wait just a second before you start thinking, "that meal does not sound healthy in the slightest!" just wait, I promise you, it was indeed healthy! Instead of a beef burger I made a turkey burger. Make sure you use lean turkey to make the calorie count worth it! If you go with the lean, or extra lean (even better) it will be around 160 cooked. How awesome is that?!

I didn't get a chance to take a pic of my actual burger because, well I ate it too fast to even think of taking a picture so this picture will have to suffice ;) 

Ingredients in meat: (basically add as much as you think you would like)
  • ~1 tablespoon of ground ginger
  • hoisin garlic sauce (add a little more than the soy sauce)
  • 1-2 tablespoons of low sodium soy sauce
  • green onions 
  • feta cheese
I dressed the burger with a delightful yogurt sauce, grilled red onions, and sliced tomato. For the "bun" I used a thin whole wheat pita bread. 

Yogurt Sauce Ingredients:
  • 1/2 cup of plain yogurt
  • ~2 tablespoons of mayo (remember, you can always go low or non fat with these 2 ingredients)
  • green onions (thinly sliced, white and green)
  • fresh mint (thinly sliced)
Now for the mashed potatoes: Instead of making them with 100% potatoes, do half cauliflower instead! You can barely taste the difference and it almost cuts the calories in half! Also, use skim milk and a light amount of butter when it's time for the mashing.

That was my Healthy Alternative to last nights dinner, I hope you enjoyed! If you try making this, please let me know because I would love to hear how it turned out for you. 

Love Always, 

Samantha, LMT


1 comment:

  1. love using turkey instead of meat! i make turkey lettuce wraps, turkey tacos, and turkey chili...it is so much healthier for you!

    ReplyDelete

I would be more than happy to read all the comments you have! I greatly appreciate them and promise to answer each one as soon as possible.

Love Always,
Samantha, LMT

 
Site Design By Designer Blogs